This question was answered on Sat 20, Mar 2010 03:50am by Dr J Singh

Male 47, both nipples tender, sore to touch for everalweeks

Asked by jtoms (Male; 47; nothing relevant; Relevant drugs:none ) on Fri 19, Mar 2010 11:26pm

Male 47, both nipples tender, sore to touch for several weeks

Actions: | Forward |



Security code
Enter the text as shown above

E-Mail me when someone replies to this post
Answer by Dr J Singh  on Sat 20, Mar 2010 03:50am:

Hello, Welcome to the forum. I can understand your concern because nipple pain in males is very uncommon but possible. I cannot precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination but it can be due to different reasons. It depends on whether the pain is in the nipple itself, the tissue beneath or the ribs. If it is in the tissue under the nipple you may have a chronic infection which can result in a cyst. These are often tender and painful. Pain at the nipple itself may be from infection or constant rubbing against clothes which can cause chafing. Sometimes if there is a history of any arthritis, the ribs can be painful where they join the breast bone. Pressing on the rib through the nipple will trigger this pain. Even males can have fibroadenomas which are benign lumps but may sometimes present with breast or nipple pain. I suggest you to get it evaluated from a physician. In the meantime apply warm compresses and take some anti-inflammatory pain relievers like Ibuprofen( if you are not allergic to this drug) or acetaminophen after consulting your doctor. If along with the nipple pain there are other symptoms skin dimpling or puckering, redness or scaling of the nipple or breast skin or some breast discharge, then breast malignancy has to be ruled out and needs to be evaluated right away. I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.

If you find the site useful, please consider making a donation.  Click the button to donate.   

Please rate my answer (select the stars, no need to log in.)  


Comment by jtoms on Sat 20, Mar 2010 04:39am:
Infection ticks the most boxes thank you Dr.

Comment by Dr. Srivastava on Sat 20, Mar 2010 07:15am:
Dear Sir, My opinion is also in agreement with Dr JS Anand that this could be due to skin infection. Most probably, it can be a boil or cellulitis at nipple (infection on skin/hair follicles). I would advice you to consult a doctor and get it drained off pus and properly dressed with antibiotic prescription. However, using an antiseptic cleanser for a week, then twice weekly for several weeks can reduce the amount of boil on your skin, although it may also cause some dryness. In addition, this type of male breast tenderness on touch can occur either due to some injury in the past or upon pressing that area you may be pressing some superficial blood vessel which is hurting, however as we can not examine you in person and also we require complete medical history to tell you the probable reason for this. For symptomatic patients with burning, sensitivity, pain, or tenderness; a potent topical corticosteroid gel may help you as well. Also, make sure that you have a balanced diet with plenty of fruit and vitamin C. Hope this helps. Take Care.

Comment by on Wed 16, Feb 2011 09:14pm:
Please follow us on Facebook by clicking the like button below

Comment by David on Fri 08, Jul 2011 01:42pm:
I'm a 58 Year old male who is in relatively good health,however I have light pain under my left nipple.It's been this way for several weeks and I have a female Doc.I'm a little embarrassed to talk with her about it so I'm probably going to mention it to my male Urologist and see what he might advise.There's no hardening or discharge.Any suggestions? Thanks, David

This question is open for comments.  Please share your opinion.




Security code
Enter the text as shown above

E-Mail me when someone replies to this post

What users are searching right now on Ask Doctor For Free:

©2011 - Ask Doctor For Free  |  All Rights Reserved
The site is not a replacement for professional medical opinion, examination, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your medical doctor or other qualified health professional before starting any new treatment or making any changes to existing treatment. Do not delay seeking or disregard medical advice based on information written by any author on this site. No health questions and information on AskDoctorForFree is regulated or evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and therefore the information should not be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease without the supervision of a medical doctor. Posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author, and not the administrators, moderators, or editorial staff and hence AskDoctorForFree and its principals will accept no liabilities or responsibilities for the statements made.

Home | Terms & Conditions | Contact Us | Frequently Asked Questions | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Advertise with us